Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Target Is Right On Target Phasing Out PVC

I have a thing for comfort, and nothing says relaxing more than a good book and a great, comfy chair. Now that chair cannot be some sort of beat up reject, no, been there done that when my kids were small. If I am going to go out and search for a new comfy chair I want it to look good.

Well about six months ago I found a great chair….it was comfy and definitely looked good. I grabbed Gary to go and see it before I made the purchase and upon closer inspection I realized the beautiful red leather chair that had caught my eye seemed well…shiny. Like really shiny…more like the vinyl naugahyde of my youth than the sexy red leather available today.

The more I looked at the chair, the more I became concerned that it wasn’t leather like the tag said, so I called the salesman over. Enthusiastically he explained that the chair was indeed leather, blended with high quality PVC.

PVC – WHAT!

Needless to say, I did not buy that chair.

PVC is not something to sit on, actually it is something to avoid when you can. According to a report I received this morning from the Environmental News Service, Dr. Peter Orris, professor and chief of service at the University of Illinois Medical Center in Chicago states, “Study after study have found that chemicals in vinyl can cause health problems in children and adults. While using PVC products, people may be exposed to toxic additives like phthalates and lead and when incinerated, PVC is a major contributor to dioxin.”

Among the health effects of phthalates, plastic softeners found in many PVC products, are premature birth delivery, early puberty in girls, impaired sperm quality and sperm damage in men, genital defects and reduced testosterone production in boys…for starters.

The report further states that the hazards of PVC are not limited to its use by consumers, it creates toxic pollution during its manufacturing. When discarded, toxic additives like lead and phthalates can leach into the ground and drinking water. When burned, PVC produces dioxins and furans, chemicals that can cause cancer and are considered to be among the most toxic environmental contaminants.

Target, the fifth largest US retailer, has agreed to reduce its sale of products containing PVC. Joining a group of companies including Wal-Mart, Microsoft, Johnson & Johnson, Nike, and Apple that are eliminating or reducing PVC in their products and packaging.

Target has pledged to eliminate PVC from a number of infant products and toys, and already, Target’s children’s eating utensils and lunchboxes are PVC-free; baby bibs will be PVC-free by January 2008; 88% of its shower curtains will be PVC-free by Spring 2008; phthalates in baby changing tables are on their way out and by the fall of 2008, Target will phase out phthalates in most of their toys.

So as we approach the Holidays, do NOT buy any “shiny” leather chairs for that special someone and if spending is part of your Holiday tradition, do your research and put your money in the companies that are working to make a difference.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea that PVC was so dangerous. But I'm glad that major retailers are taking a stand and weeding out products that are made with PVC. Good for them.

Melissa Miller-Young, CLC said...

I knew it was dangerous, but never realized it was in so many different things....like chairs!! I am however happy to see that some of the major retailers are taking a stand and weeding out some of the dangerous products....it's a small step, but a step nonetheless.

MC said...

Yikes. Eww. Geez.