Saturday, September 15, 2007

Bologna? I Think I'll Pass....

I have had a thing about processed meats for a number of years now – never been one to enjoy a hot dog, bologna makes me woozy and well, I could go on and on. So in the course of researching my new book, I found validity for my feelings, sodium nitrite proved that my ick feelings about processed meats were dead on.

As a food additive, sodium nitrite (also beware of sodium nitrate) serves a dual purpose since it both alters the color of preserved fish and meats and also prevents the growth of Clostridium botulinum, the bacteria which causes botulism. Sodium nitrite can turn your meats and fish the bright red color that you generally associate with freshness, when in fact the product can be anything but.

While sodium nitrite will prevent the growth of bacteria, it is also toxic for mammals. Recent studies have found a link between high processed meat consumption and colon cancer, possibly due to preservatives such as sodium nitrite. The evidence doesn't stop there, a recent study shows a 67% increase in pancreatic cancer for people consuming moderate amounts of processed meat on a frequent basis.

But leave it to our friends at NewsTarget.com to up the grossness factor a few more notches with the video below. This humorous take on a frightening subject will make you think twice before ordering pepperoni on that pizza or buying a hot dog from the corner vendor – I promise!!


4 comments:

Sus said...

funny you should post this so recently cause I was watching (for some bizarre reason) one of those reality shows were the wives get swapped....well one of the wives' family ate only "raw meat." *shiver* I can't say I'm a fan of hot dogs but no way in hell am I gonna eat raw meat!

Melissa Miller-Young, CLC said...

Yeah- the raw meat is something I would have to pass on as well - eeewww. Now I have read about raw meat eaters....but that is as far as I have gone. And the couple of people I do know that eat only "raw" diets don't eat meat at all. But some things I liked cooked, and a steak would be one of them....but hot dogs, thanks, I'll pass!

Thanks!

Angie said...

Yuck!! That picture with the black stuff in it is totally disgusting!! And people eat that crap! I must admit that I do like my sandwiches, and unfortunately there is the lunch meat issue. I’ve found that Whole Foods will actually make a roast, with totally organic meat and spices and cut it in lunch meat slices for you. That’s it, no other additives or any other crap, sure it’s pricy but when it comes time for me to break down and have a sandwich, this is the path I take . . . match it with some organic mustard and spelt bread and I’m a happy camper!! After seeing those pictures I don’t know how anyone could eat lunch meat again!!! Thanks for the informative blog, it was very enlightening!!!

Melissa Miller-Young, CLC said...

Oooh if only I had a Whole Foods nearby!!

Glad you liked the video and hope that from now on you splurge for the good stuff!

Thanks!